Top 4 problems faced by cell phone owners [STUDY]
The Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project carried out a survey in April 2012 on the top four problems faced by cell phone owners in the United States. The study concluded that Smartphone owners reported more problems than other cell owners. To further funnel this, non-white cell phone owners faced all four problems at a higher weekly rates than their white counterparts.
Let’s look at the incidence of these four problems:
- Problem # 1: Dropped Calls
72% of cell phone owners in America experienced occasional dropped calls.
- Problem # 2: Unwanted Sales or Marketing Calls
Approximately seven-in-ten cell owners get unwanted sales or marketing calls at one time or another.
- Problem # 3: Unwanted Spam or Text Messages
Out of those who use text messaging on their cell phones, 69% receive unwanted spam or text messages.
- Problem # 4: Slow Download Speed
From those who use their phones to go online and do stuff like Internet browsing, online shopping, mail checking, and others, 77% of respondents say that they have experienced slow download speeds. The slow speed thus prevents things from loading as quickly as they would like.
Even if there are legal restrictions in the United States in making unsolicited commercial calls to mobile phones and sending spam messages, the findings point at their misuse. The incidence of unwanted intrusions is clearly on the rise. Understanding the guidelines correctly can help save the frustration.
Reading the fine line
- People with commercial intent in mind cannot send spam to cell owners who have placed their mobile devices on the National Do Not Call registry.
- Governmental regulations bar text messages sent from Internet domain names for those who are not in that registry.
- Mobile-to-mobile spam messages are permissible with the provision that the text contacts were not generated through an automatic dialing system.
The study also correlated ethnicity with the problems faced by cell phone owners. Click the ‘Read More’ link to check the complete study.Read More